3.22.2010

Back to my roots...

This past week I stepped back in time...I was craving country music! I know that sounds wierd, but I was raised on country music. Yet, as I got older, I started stepping away from my 1st love (although the music today is not always what I consider country music).
Steve came to my resuce though! He got us tickets to a benefit concert in Hopkinsville. I really wasn't for sure what was in store for me when I went though. He had gotten us VIP tickets, so we were able to go to a little reception before the concert and got to meet the performers. I actually thought it was going to be some local person. But I was pleasantly surprised when I got there.
The performers were Michael Peterson, Ty Herndon, and Joel Brown. You might not recognize Michael Peterson. I think he's more famous for his song writing, although I did recognize his face and none of his songs. Joel Brown is actually a teacher at the school the concert was for. And if you have been a country fan for a few years, you should recognize Ty Herndon's name.

The concert actually went to benefit the Fort Campbell High School Football team. You see, they have won the State Championship in Kentucky for 3 years in a row. And apparently, this is HUGE because no other team has ever done that in the state of Kentucky. And they don't have the budget to buy the championship rings for the team. Actually, when I heard how much it was going to cost them, I about passed out - $23,000 for rings!!! Who would have ever thought it would cost that much!!!

Anywho, back to the story.

The concert was AWESOME! The teacher from Fort Campbell actually stole the show. Someone needs to give him a record deal, and pronto!

Emily and I decided to kill the time before the concert started by taking some fun pictures of ourselves.

Then Steve and I got in on the action.

Then the concert started. It was neat because it was just the guys and some guitars. They told stories about the songs and made us laugh pretty much the whole time.

Michael Peterson sang the last song and there was not a dry eye in the room. The name was "Heard a Pin Drop" and it was all about being in the military and the life the folks live. There was a video to go along with it and it was so moving! Before he sang the song, he reminded me exactly why we were there that night. These kids sacrifice SO much! Most of the kids have had a parent, possibly both parents, deployed overseas at some point. Some of them may have had parents who didn't return from overseas. Could you imagine being 16 or 17 and your mom or dad not make it home from the war? I couldn't imagine it now and I'm, well I don't want to admit how old I am, but I'm definitely older than them.

The great news is at the end of the night they had already raised over half of the money! God is definitely GOOD!

0 comments: